Situated on over 21,0000 ha of private property and bordering the Namib Naukluft Park, Kulala Desert Lodge lies in the heart of the Namib and offers magnificent views of the famous red dunes of Sossusvlei as well as magnificent mountainous scenery and vast open plains.
Twelve thatched & canvas chalets or "Kulalas" (Kulala in the Namibian language "oshiwambo" means "to sleep") with en suite bathrooms and showers are set on wooden platforms to provide maximum airflow.
An option for outdoor enthusiasts is that mattresses can be moved to the rooftop to sleep under the stars from a private star gazing platform.
The main lodge has a lounge, pub, dining area and plunge pool, and offers a wrap-around verandah that overlooks the waterhole and provides a perfect location to view and photograph the desert sunset.
Early morning guided game drives to the spectacular dunes are through a private gate on the Tsauchab River.
Game drives and walks are also offered on the private reserve with incredible views, desert game and smaller desert fauna and flora.
Another option, at an extra cost, is early morning ballooning, beginning at first light, the 60-90 minute balloon safari offers a truly unique experience to soar silently above the magnificent sand dunes and desert with a champagne breakfast being served at your landing site. Wildlife
On the edge of the oldest desert in the world, this is not a game rich area, however, whatever game we see is interesting and dramatised by the contrast between the desert and animals like Springbok, Gemsbok (Oryx) and Ostrich who manage to survive in these harsh conditions.
Night drives using spotlights often encounter small mammals such as Aardwolf, Bat Eared Fox, Hares and sometimes Spotted Hyenas.
A water hole in front of the main building gives the opportunity to see Oryx, Springbok, Bat Eared Fox, Aardwolf, Ostrich and Jackals. Some Spotted Hyenas can be heard at night.
Facilities & Services:
Number of units:
- 11 x "kulalas" each with twin beds (and there are 4 extra beds available for children/triples)
- 1 x family room which can sleep up to 5 people
- 4 tour leaders/guides can be accommodated in rondavels
A total of 27 guests plus tour leaders can be accommodated.
- Each "kulala" is especially adapted to the unique desert conditions, built on a platform to ensure maximum airflow; a thatch roof provides a cool respite from the sun
- Ceiling fans ensure a breeze at all times
- En-suite with shower, flush toilet and hand basin
- Each room has a private veranda with view of the majestic dunes without seeing the neighbours
- A private rooftop area on top of the bathroom gives guests the opportunity of spending a night under the magnificent night sky for which luxury bedrolls are available any time.
Kulala Desert Lodge Activities:
- Nature drives into the desert in 3 x 10 seater and 1 x 6 seater 4 x 4 vehicles
- Walking Trails
- Visits to Bushman painting sites
- Visit to Sossusvlei and Sesriem
- Balloon safaris (additional cost, even if guests are on Fully Inclusive rate. Closed 15 January to 15 February)
- Horse riding safari (on request and at an additional cost)
- The Scenic sundowner tour is one of the best scenic safaris in the Namib (this exclusive tour is ended with a champagne sundowner)
Kulala Desert Lodge Map: